Friday, 2024-03-29, 10:57 PM
Main Registration RSS
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Software Related Topics » Post all software related topics here » Windows Vista Bugs List (Why do we need to stop using Vista?)
Windows Vista Bugs List
JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:45 PM | Message # 1
Admin
Group: Administrators
Microsoft suddenly stop Vista because of the errors (Bugs) found. TipidPC is one of the distributor of Microsoft Products like OS, and office suites in the Philippines. I just called at their office to inquire about the availability and pricing of Microsoft Products and found out that Vista has been discontinued because of the numerous bugs found on it. Bugs are fixed on Windows Seven duh!

Here's a partial but long enough list of Vista known bugs and errors.

While you know yourself --- It is necessary for other to know you
When no one knows you --- All you know about yourself is nothing

Message edited by John - Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:46 PM

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:46 PM | Message # 2
Admin
PART 1: Windows Vista Bug List

Vista Explorer Statusbar Bug:

This bug is related to the Statusbar in Windows Explorer. Just follow these simple steps to recreate this bug:

1. Open My Computer and enable "Statusbar" by pressing <ALT> key and then select "View -> Statusbar" from Menubar.

2. Now open a folder which should contain at least one file.

3. Select a file and see its size in statusbar.

4. Now refresh the folder by pressing <F5> key and select the same file again and see its size in the Statusbar. You'll be surprised after seeing its size. Statusbar will show incorrect size, actually the size will be doubled. Again Refresh and check the size in statusbar. It'll be again doubled. and so on.

So if you select a file and see its size in statusbar, suppose it is 1 MB, then after refreshing the folder and again selecting the file will show its size as 2 MB in statusbar and so on..... If you select a different file after refreshing the folder, then it'll add the new file size in previous file size and will show the sum in status bar. Weird bug, isn't it?

NOTE: This bug has been fixed in Windows 7.

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:47 PM | Message # 3
Admin
Vista Explorer Statusbar Bug 2:

This bug is also related to Vista Explorer Statusbar. Guess what? Vista Explorer statusbar is too buggy.

1. Open "My Computer" and enable "Statusbar" by pressing <ALT> tab and select "View -> Statusbar" from Menubar.

2. Close "My Computer" window and again open "My Computer" but remember don't maximize or restore the window. Leave it as it is.

3. Double-click on any drive which contains at least one file in its root, e.g. If your D:\ drive contains any .txt or .jpg or .bmp or any other format file, then double-click on D: drive.

4. Select any file and look at Statusbar. There will be only a line showing "1 item selected" and nothing else. In fact it should show the file size as well.

5. Now do any of following:

If your window is maximized, then restore it by clicking on Restore button (middle button) in Titlebar.
If your window is in normal state (restore), then maximize it.
Or open any other folder in the current drive and then press "Backspace" key or click on "Back" button to come back to root of the drive where you were recently.

6. Now again select the same file and look at statusbar. Now you can see its size in Statusbar which was not visible in "4th step".

So here is the conclusion:

Statusbar doesn't show a file size if the file is in root of a drive. But if we change the window state or open a folder in the drive and again come back to root of the drive, then Statusbar shows the size. Which is kinda strange and definitely a BUG.

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:48 PM | Message # 4
Admin
Classic Start Menu and Log Off Bug:

This bug is found when we use "Classic Start menu".

1. Right-click on Taskbar and select "Properties".

2. Go to "Start Menu" tab and select "Classic Start menu".

3. Click on "Customize" button and make sure "Display Log off" option is enabled. Now apply it.

Now click on Start button and select "Log off". Oops, It didn't ask for confirmation.

In earlier versions of windows, it used to confirm the action. It was quite useful. Lots of time people can accidentally click on "Log off" but since it asks for confirmation, we can simply click on "No" button.

But in Vista, it doesn't confirm and logs out you from Windows. If you clicked on it by mistake, you'll lose all your opened documents (if not saved) and all your opened websites in your web browser.

Its really a stupid bug and I can't understand why the developers disabled the confirmation dialog box in Vista?

NOTE: This bug is not present in Windows 7 as Microsoft removed classic start menu completely.

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:50 PM | Message # 5
Admin
File Renaming Bug:

This bug appears when you try to change a file name as well as its extension.

1. Disable "Hide extensions for known file types" option in "Folder Options".

2. Now open My Computer and navigate to a folder which contains at least one file.

3. Rename the file by clicking on the file and press "F2" or right-click on the file and select "Rename".

4. Windows will only select the name of file and the extension will not be selected. Select the whole text i.e. name as well as extension.

5. Now give it any name and make sure you change its extension. To make it more clear, in this example the file is "Readme.txt" and we'll rename it to "VG.MP3". So we are changing its extension from .txt to .MP3

6. Now once you type the new name, don't press Enter. Click on empty area in Explorer to apply the new name, Windows will show confirmation dialog box.

7. Click on "Yes" button and see the bug. a strange selection rectangle will be created automatically from the point where you clicked in explorer to the "Yes" button location.

8. If you move the cursor, the rectangle will change its size.

9. To remove the rectangle, just refresh the window.

NOTE: The bug doesn't appear if you press Enter to apply the new name. You have to click in empty area to re-create the bug.

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:52 PM | Message # 6
Admin
MMC Customize Dialog Box Bug:

This bug is present in all MMC applications like services.msc, gpedit.msc, devmgmt.msc, etc.

1. Type "mmc.exe" or "services.msc" or "devmgmt.msc" or any other .msc file name in RUN or Startmenu Searchbox and press <Enter>.

2. Go to "View -> Customize..." and it'll open a dialog box.

3. Now try to click on "Close" (X) button and nothing will happen. Even pressing <Esc> key will not close the dialog box. If you right-click on the dialog box titlebar, you'll get only "Move" option. So you'll only have to click on "OK" button.

Now what's the use of "Close" button? That's really weird that Close button can't close the dialog box.

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:53 PM | Message # 7
Admin
Service Manager Bug:

Another interesting BUG in Windows Vista, which can be recreated only if you are using "Aero" theme:

1. Type "services.msc" in RUN or Startmenu Searchbox and press <Enter>.

2. It'll open "Service Manager" window. Now double-click on any service listed in right-side pane.

3. It'll open the service Properties box.

So whats the bug?

. Just hover your mouse cursor over the "Close" (X) button in Properties box and you'll see the BUG.

The close button will start blinking like a tube-light.

Must be a bug in DWM (Desktop Window Manager).

4. Just hover your mouse cursor over the "Close" (X) button in Properties box and you'll see the BUG.

The close button will start blinking like a tube-light.

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:54 PM | Message # 8
Admin
Favorite Links and Folder List Bug:

1. Open My Computer and make sure that "Favorite Links" are showing in left side pane (Navigation pane). If its not enabled then you can enable it from "Organize -> Layout -> Navigation pane".

2. Close My Computer.

3. Now open "Windows Explorer" from Start menu.

4. It'll show "Folders List" instead of "Favorite Links" in Navigation pane. That's cool since its Windows Explorer it should display Folders list.

5. Now close Windows Explorer and again open My Computer.

6. Guess what? The Navigation pane will show "Folders List" in left pane instead of previously selected "Favorite Links".

So the conclusion is this:

If you select "Favorite Links" to be shown in My Computer and open Windows Explorer, it'll overwrite your settings for "Navigation pane" and will force My Computer to show "Folders List".

So Windows Explorer overwrites My Computer's "Navigation pane" settings. How can I save my settings for "Navigation pane" in My Computer?

It seems that in Vista "My Computer" and "Windows Explorer" are no longer different as they were in previous versions of Windows. In XP, My Computer doesn't show "Folders List" in left pane but Windows Explorer shows and in Vista both My Computer and Windows Explorer show "Navigation pane". That's why the above BUG exists!!!

NOTE: We noticed one more thing! If you set to show both "Favorite Links" and "Folders List" in "Navigation Pane", then no problem occurs. Both My Computer and Windows Explorer show both things. But if you set only "Favorite Links" to show in My Computer and open Windows Explorer, it'll automatically overwrite your settings for Navigation Pane in My Computer and My Computer will start showing both things.

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:55 PM | Message # 9
Admin
2 Desktop.ini Files on Desktop Bug:

1. Go to "Organize -> Folder & Search Options".

2. In "View" tab, enable "Show hidden files and folders" option and disable "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" option.

3. Now check the Desktop and you'll see 2 "desktop.ini" files on desktop.

Now you'll say what's the bug here? The bug is, these 2 files should not be visible on Desktop at all. In earlier versions of windows (like XP) no such files were shown on desktop even the file exists in desktop folder. These files are used to customize folder settings.

I came to know that one file is for current user settings and the other file is for all users profile settings.

Many power users enable "show hidden files/folders" option and disable the option "hide protected system files" in their system but also they want a clean desktop. But its not the case in Vista.

To make it more clear, "Desktop.ini" file also exists in other system folders like "Temporary Internet Files", "History", etc but these folders don't show these files even after enabling/disabling the options mentioned in Step2, then why Desktop shows these 2 files? Strange, very strange.

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:57 PM | Message # 10
Admin
Taskbar Bug:

1. Double-click on the bottom area of Taskbar where system tray icons are displayed, like Windows Defender, Removable Media, Yahoo! Messenger, etc icons. You can unlock the Taskbar and increase its size to see the area more clearly.

2. You'll be surprised when "Windows Defender" or any other window will open even you didn't click on that program's icon.

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:58 PM | Message # 11
Admin
Control Panel Task Band Goof-up:

1. Open Control panel and double-click on "Programs and Features" icon.

2. Look carefully at Task Band containing "Organize" and "Views" buttons.

3. You'll notice that Task Band color is same as the Menubar color. Actually it should look same as it looks in My Computer but its a goof up that it takes Menubar image to show its color instead of task band image defined in the Aero theme.

So its a goof-up that "Programs and Features" task band doesn't use the actual task band image and in stead it use Menubar image from the Windows theme.

NOTE: This goof-up has been fixed in Windows 7.

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 12:59 PM | Message # 12
Admin
Titlebar Buttons Bug:

1. Maximize any window e.g. My Computer window.

2. Right-click on Minimize or Restore buttons and you'll get the context menu which appears when we right-click on titlebar.

3. It doesn't appear when we right-click on Close button.

Its definitely a bug. Why should the context menu appear on buttons?

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 1:00 PM | Message # 13
Admin
Welcome Center Bug:

1. Open Welcome Center.

2. The default "View" of window would be set to "Tiles" and icons would be grouped by "Category". Now try to change the view settings. Right-click in empty area and change the view to "Medium Icons", "List", "Details" or any other you want. Also change the "Group By" setting to "Name", "Description" or "(None)". You can also collapse the complete group using arrow.

3. When you have done, close Welcome Center and re-open it and you'll be surprised that all your customized settings will vanish and it'll use the default settings.

Its definitely a bug. It should remember users settings otherwise what's the benefit of these options?

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 1:00 PM | Message # 14
Admin
Welcome Center Bug:

1. Open Welcome Center.

2. The default "View" of window would be set to "Tiles" and icons would be grouped by "Category". Now try to change the view settings. Right-click in empty area and change the view to "Medium Icons", "List", "Details" or any other you want. Also change the "Group By" setting to "Name", "Description" or "(None)". You can also collapse the complete group using arrow.

3. When you have done, close Welcome Center and re-open it and you'll be surprised that all your customized settings will vanish and it'll use the default settings.

Its definitely a bug. It should remember users settings otherwise what's the benefit of these options?

2. Now select "Computer" icon and click on "Change Icon" button. It'll open another window showing various different icons. Select any icon from the list and click on OK button.

3. It'll show new "Computer" icon in the list, now click on "Apply" button and your changes will be saved and you can see the new Computer icon on Desktop.

4. That's fine. Now click on "Restore Default" button and it'll show the default "Computer" icon in the list but to my wonder "Apply" button will not get activated. It'll be still disabled. Then how can we apply the changes?

5. You can either click on "OK" button hoping that it'll save your changes OR enable/disable any checkbox given at top to activate the "Apply" button. But Windows will not save your changes and the "Computer" icon will not change. You'll need to open the "Desktop Icon Settings" window again, click on "Restore Default" button again and now Windows will save the changes. Really weird.

JohnDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 1:02 PM | Message # 15
Admin
More bugs has been found and I know more than what I posted here, however, I'm now tired encoding all this shit... So, if you are stupid enough to continue using vista, and found 1 bug, feel free to post it here...

Forum » Software Related Topics » Post all software related topics here » Windows Vista Bugs List (Why do we need to stop using Vista?)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: